Tuesday, September 9, 2008

MTV killed the Video Star

Normally I wouldn't bother to blog about such a production as the MTV Video Awards Show.....but I feel the need to discuss some of the interesting fashion faux pas I witnessed that evening~
This person from the German Band Tokio Hotel (I honestly don't know if this is a male or female) is apparently a huge fan of Cher....I guess I like it a little better on Cher.
Then there was Christina Aguilera who Wikipedia lists as being a mere 28 years old....maybe it's just bad angles or lighting in this particular photo.....but....don't shoot me all you Aguilera fans....... she looks about 50 years old here.....50 with a great boob job~
Having grown up during the revolutionary beginnings of MTV (back when they actually played music videos) I fondly recall many interesting fashion statements...who can forget Madonna writhing on the floor in her "boy toy" wedding dress....but at least they had style.....and not STYLISTS!! These pioneering artists at least had the Gumption to dress themselves with flair and not give a damn what anyone else wanted them to wear~
As a teenager I, along with two million or so other Madonna wanna-be's are certainly testimony to that. (much to the chagrin of many the poor mother)
Who are the Rock n Roll Fashion Icons today? I really don't know....Probably Rap stars...Kanye West...P Diddy.....Snoop Dog; however there doesn't seem to be anyone who leaves the impression that the Madonnas, the Michael Jacksons ( who can forget the one glove phenomenon) or Prince ( purple anything, white ruffled shirts, curly big hair) had on the masses, and that makes this writer feel very, very old and a little sad. My plea to MTV.....stop with the Reality and give us back Our MTV!!
"See the little faggot with the earring and the makeup
Yeah buddy that's his own hair
That little faggot got his own jet airplane
That little faggot he's a millionaire"
"Now that ain't workin' that's the way you do it
You play the guitar on the MTV
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and your chicks for free"
On a lighter note however....Brittney looked pretty good....There may be hope yet!~

8 comments:

Karley Ziegler Mott said...

I totally agree. It's funny--until I put my glasses on I honestly thought Christina was Suzanne Somers!

Great blog you have here. I am headed to check out your Etsy shop as well!

Karley

Amber D. Mcnabb said...

I so totally agree. Theres no such thing as MTV (as we knew it) any more. siiiiigh Prince. Or the artist fomerly known as....what the crap? I still love him.

~Caroline~ said...

I am also in agreement with y'all! MTV lost its appeal several years ago when they started focusing more on their reality series instead of showing good videos.

kim* said...

yes out of everyone brit definitely looked good being pretty not skanky, maybe shes learning....

MJ said...

I know! Watching the VMAs actually made me cringe. Love your blog, thanks for stopping by.

Impossible Alice said...

haha, they're great photos - christina does looks like a drag queen. and i love the dave matthews band :)

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

I was wondering about the Tokio Hotel person too!!

Unknown said...

I LOVE CHER! and funny enough, Prince too :-)